June 17, 2019 Afternoon
Pre-Event Plant-Based Proteins Workshop
Add even more networking value to your time at Future Food-Tech, as you network with industry leaders and innovators specializing in plant-based proteins.
The half-day workshop on Monday June 17 will map the global market for plant-based products, sourcing and scalability solutions, new opportunities for plant-based ingredients and advancing taste, texture and nutrition.
June 18, 2019 Morning
Welcome Remarks from Rethink Events
Sophie Buck, Conference Producer, RETHINK EVENTS
Opening Keynote: The Role of Food-Tech in Nourishing Our Cities
Eric Adams, Brooklyn Borough President, CITY OF NEW YORK
Food Leaders’ Plenary: Achieving Healthy and Sustainable Food Systems in an Urbanized World
- How are leading foods brands and retailers driving the transition to a healthier, more sustainable food system? What approaches are proving successful?
- What technologies are emerging to develop urban food systems that offer more easily available, affordable and nutritious foods? Where are the key gaps and challenges that innovators should be focusing on? What’s needed to better supply food deserts?
- How do we influence consumer behavior to make it easier to eat healthily and sustainably? – Where are the opportunities for collaboration across the supply chain to accelerate change?
Greg McParland, Sr. Investment Manager, DSM VENTURING USA
Bobby Chacko, President & CEO, OCEAN SPRAY
Victor Friedberg, Chairman & Founder, FOODSHOT GLOBAL
Reese Schroeder, Managing Director, TYSON VENTURES
The Future of Snacking: How are Changing Consumer Lifestyles and Preferences Influencing our Eating Habits?
- How have consumer eating habits evolved over the years? What’s driving the growth in snacking?
- How is the sector responding and what key areas of innovation should we expect to emerge?
- As consumers become more mindful about their food choices, they also still want to indulge. Where does snacking fit into the health and wellbeing space? What are the latest advances in healthier ingredients and foods while still delivering on taste and desire?
Peter Bodenheimer, Program Director, FOOD-X
Lucia Ponginebbi, Vice President, Global Snacks R&D, PEPSICO
Bryan Crowley, CEO, SOYLENT
Laurette Rondenet, President & CEO, EDLONG CORPORATION
Will Papa, Senior Vice President, Chief Research & Development Officer, THE HERSHEY COMPANY
Networking Coffee Break
Presentation: Utilizing AI to Enter a New Era of Flavor Innovation
Hamed Faridi, Chief Science Officer, MCCORMICK
Following Your Gut: Fortified and Functional Foods Driving Good Digestive Health
- What do the latest science and findings on the microbiome tell us about the relationship between food and health?
- What types of foods and ingredients are key to improving gut health and microbiota diversity? How are big food brands developing products to meet this trend and deliver on consumer demand?
- What advancements have been made in designing foods that target intolerances and positively impact on illness and disease management? How have our health needs evolved over the years?
Joshua Haslun, Analyst, Agro Innovation Team, LUX RESEARCH
Samantha Ford, Business Development Director, AIDP
Oxana Kukhaneva, Venture Partner, SEVENTURE PARTNERS
D’Anne Hayman, VP, Global Innovation & Nutrition, THE KELLOGG COMPANY
Michael Bush, Executive Director, KERRY and Executive Director & Board Member, PRENEXUS HEALTH
Abhijit Natu, Global Marketing – Functional Nutrition, BASF HUMAN NUTRITION
Personalized Nutrition as a Pathway to Healthy Eating and Good Food Choices
- How are food brands and retailers approaching personalized nutrition? What solutions are proving to be most successful and popular with consumers?
- Data-driven apps, DNA testing, gut health: What are the limitations of this data, and is data privacy a concern? What new innovative methods of collecting and combining data are emerging?
- What role can personalized nutrition play in managing and treating health conditions? What innovation is emerging in this space?
- What are the next set of challenges that need to be solved to deliver personalization at scale? Is it possible to individualize products on an industrial scale? How do supply chains need to adapt?
Seth Bannon, Founder, FIFTY YEARS
David del Pozo, Senior Director, Metabolic Response, Open Innovation Science, FERRERO
Vikram Luthar, Senior Vice President & President, Health & Wellness, ADM
Glenn Sullivan, Founding Partner, QUINTESSENCE NUTRACEUTICALS
Hal Tily, Director of Data Science, VIOME
Networking Lunch Break
June 18, 2019 Afternoon
Creating a Culture Open to Innovation and Entrepreneurial Thinking
- What are the best routes to creating a culture of innovation and how can innovation be integrated into the core business of the CPG?
- How are CPGs working with start-ups to respond to new trends and leverage talent and technologies to unlock growth? What models have proved successful?
- What are the main obstacles that big brands and start-ups encounter when working with each other? How we can overcome these?
David Behringer, CEO, PILOT LITE VENTURES USA
Tom Allison, Global Head of Investment Strategy and M&A, ZX Ventures, AB INBEV
Craig Slavtcheff, Vice President, Head of Research & Development, CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
Gary Arora, Global Lead, Launchpad & Head of Seeds of Change Accelerator, MARS
How can Food Start-Ups Overcome Challenges of Scale-Up?
Bill Aimutis, Executive Director, NC FOOD INNOVATION LAB
Roundtable Discussion Groups
Moderated by industry leaders, the interactive roundtable debates are your opportunity to meet and share your ideas and insights with other delegates.
- 1. Corporate Innovation: How Can Big Companies Maintain a Start-Up Culture and Mindset? – Host: Charles Tapp, Senior Manager, Strategy and Innovation, MARS
- 2. The Future of Snacking Innovation – Host: Will Papa, Chief R&D Officer, THE HERSHEY CORPORATION
- 3. Building a VC-Fundable Plant-Based Start-Up – Host: Laura Zaim, Partner, NEW CROP CAPITAL
- 4. Catalyzing Cellular Ag: What Will Take the Industry to the Next Level? – Host: Johnny Ream, Principal, STRAY DOG CAPITAL
- 5. Food as Medicine: Addressing Health & Nutrition from the Holistic Perspective – Host: Glenn Sullivan, Founding Partner, QUINTESSENCE NUTRACEUTICALS
- 6. Cannabinoid Curiosity: Exploring the Opportunities for the Food and Beverage Industry – Host: Tracey Mason, Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer, CANNACRAFT
- 7. Blockchain for a More Connected Food Supply – Host: Gary Rodrigue, IBM Food Trust Leader, IBM
- 8. How is AI Powering the Discovery of New Foods? – Host: Louis Fu, Partner, TENCENT EXPLORATION TEAM
- 9. Developing New Corporate Innovation Models – Host: Benoit Angenieux, Marketing Director, Innovation, DANONE NORTH AMERICA
- 10. Financing Start-Ups: Finding the Right Type of Finance to Grow your Food-Tech Start-Up – Host: Peter Bodenheimer, Partner & Program Director, FOOD-X
- 11. The Future of Food Delivery – Host: Brita Rosenheim, Partner, BETTER FOOD VENTURES
- 12. Digitizing Food Supply Chains: Opportunities to Reduce Waste, Improve Yields and Address Food Safety – Host: Abi Ramanan, CEO & Co-Founder, IMPACT VISION
- 13. Regulatory Frameworks: Bringing Next-Gen Products to Market – Host: Dennis Keefe, Director, Office of Food Additive Safety, U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
- 14. Alternative Proteins: Where is the Hype Making an Impact? How Can the Sector Successfully Solve the Challenge of Scale? – Host: Rosie Wardle, Programme Director, JEREMY COLLER FOUNDATION
- 15. Women in Food-Tech: The Challenges and Opportunities – Host: Louisa Burwood-Taylor, Head of Media & Research, AGFUNDER
Networking Coffee Break
Case Study: Leveraging the Power of Blockchain, IoT, and Analytics for Smarter Supply Chains
Bob Wolpert, Senior Vice President & Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer, GOLDEN STATE FOODS
Technology Showcase: Early-Mid Stage Technology Entrepreneurs Present Seven Minute Snapshots of their Solutions
Kirk McAfee, Founder & Director of Finance, EATRX
Melissa Snover, CEO, NOURISHED
Sunyoung Lee, CEO, PURESPACE
Gabriel Paulino, CEO, BIOLUMEN TECHNOLOGIES
Peter Kruger, Managing Director, STARTUPBOOTCAMP FOODTECH & Managing Partner, PEAKBRIDGE PARTNERS
Ivan Farneti, Partner, FIVE SEASON VENTURES
Investor Insights: Mapping the Market for the Next Generation of Food-Tech Entrepreneurs
- What innovative models are emerging for VCs and corporates to invest in food-tech start-ups? Which models have shown particular success?
- Looking back over the past 2-3 years, what have been the most successful exits? When is the best time to exit?
- What areas of the market are ripe for new thinking and innovation? Where should the next generation of food-tech entrepreneurs be focussing their efforts?
- One to watch: who will be the next unicorn or what area of food-tech will produce the next unicorn?
Taylor Greene, Managing Director, COLLABORATIVE FUND
Matthew Walker, Managing Director, S2G VENTURES
Matilda Ho, Founder & Managing Director, BITS X BITES
Harold Schmitz, Partner, THE MARCH FUND
Steve Sanger, Partner, EVOLV VENTURES
Brian Loeb, Investor, CGC Ventures, CONTINENTAL GRAIN COMPANY
Networking Drinks Reception
Day Two — June 19, 2019 Morning
Developing and Scaling the Next Generation of Plant-Based Protein Products
- What are the key pillars required for developing plant-based protein products to meet the food industry’s needs? Which plant ingredient sources can best address these?
- How is technology innovation, such as in AI, transforming the process of identifying and developing the next generation of plant-based proteins?
- What do the next generation of plant-based products look like? What innovation is occurring to improve the taste, texture and nutritional availability of plant-based products?
- What innovative approaches are emerging to scale new ingredients and products? Where are collaboration and investment most needed? What models have been successful?
- What other opportunities are there beyond proteins in the plant-based space?
Andrew Ive, Founder & Managing Director, BIG IDEA VENTURES
Jitendra Sagili, VP, Research, Development & Food Technology, MAPLE LEAF FOODS
Jonathan Gray, Sr. Director, Research & Innovation, Plant-based Food & Beverages, DANONE NORTH AMERICA
Gregory Paul, Global Marketing Director, Consumer Segments, DUPONT NUTRITION & BIOSCIENCES
Fayaz Khazi, CEO, ELO LIFE SYSTEMS
Jonathan McIntyre, CEO, MOTIF INGREDIENTS
Driving Efficiencies in the Supply Chain through Digitization
Hear two perspectives on how digitization is revolutionizing supply chains, improving productivity, and increasing transparency and traceability.
Jason Weller, Senior Director of Sustainability, LAND O’LAKES SUSTAIN
Mark Purtilar, VP, Enterprise Sourcing and Cost Management, KROGER
Technology Showcase: Early-Mid Stage Technology Entrepreneurs Present Seven Minute Snapshots of their Solutions
Maurits van de Ven, Co-Founder, PLANTIBLE
Andy Bass, Director, ECOVATIVE
Claire Schlemme, CEO, RENEWAL MILL
Matt Gibson, CEO, NEW CULTURE
Jim Murphy, VP, Global Venturing and Emerging Growth Platforms, THE COCA COLA COMPANY
Costa Yiannoulis, Investment Director, CPT CAPITAL
Day Two — June 19, 2019 Afternoon
How the On-Demand Economy is Reshaping Urban Food Systems
- Rapid urbanization is transforming our relationship with food. How has this reshaped the way we produce, shop, consume and distribute food?
- What innovation is emerging in the robotics and AI space to reduce labour costs and make fresh, prepared, healthy foods more accessible and affordable?
- How can we get nutritious and fresh food to those living in food deserts? How have innovative models such as direct to consumer, e-commerce and meal kits opened up new avenues?
Robyn Metcalfe, Director, FOOD+CITY
Uwe Voss, COO & Managing Director, HELLOFRESH
Elram Goren, Co-Founder & CEO, COMMONSENSE ROBOTICS
Kate Galassi, President, HUDSON VALLEY HARVEST
Cannabis: A New Functional Ingredient?
- With cannabis-infused foods and beverages emerging on to the market and large investments going into the space, is the cannabis craze a fad or here to stay?
- What benefits does CBD have as a functional ingredient? How far is the science developed? How is this scientific research being effectively translated into functional, desirable products? Where are the limitations?
- What collaboration and investment are needed to increase the adoption of cannabis-infused functional products?
Tracey Mason, Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer, CANNACRAFT
Meating Urban Demand for Protein: Accelerating Cell-Based Meat Production and Adoption
- What is the role of cell-based meat in improving the sustainability of protein production and meeting demand from a growing and more urbanized global population?
- What infrastructure is needed to scale cell-based meat production to successfully market products and meet this demand? Where is collaboration and investment needed? What are the barriers?
- What innovation is emerging for developing desirable meaty textures and flavors, and what is required to develop this further to make products more desirable for the carnivorous consumer? What else can be done to gauge and increase consumer understanding and acceptance?
Bruce Friedrich, Co-Founder & Executive Director, THE GOOD FOOD INSTITUTE
Didier Toubia, CEO, ALEPH FARMS
Brian Spears, CEO and Co-Founder, NEW AGE MEATS
Deepti Kulkarni, Partner, Food, Drug and Medical Device Regulatory Practice Group, SIDLEY AUSTIN
David Kuninger, Director R&D, THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC
Solving A Food System Under Stress: Developing the Next-Gen Products We Need
- Which areas of today’s food system most drastically need new solutions, and what role can biotech play in solving these challenges? What innovation is emerging and what could we see in the future?
- What innovation is emerging to boost nutrition and reduce allergenics, and how can these personal benefits be communicated effectively to the consumer?
- Where are greater collaboration and partnerships needed to bring next-generation products to market at pace? It there a missing link?
- How can regulation best support the adoption of new foods made by biotech processes?
Brian Kaufmann, Portfolio Manager, Private Investments, VIKING GLOBAL INVESTORS
Thomas Jonas, CEO and Co-Founder, SUSTAINABLE BIOPRODUCTS
Dennis Keefe, Director, Office of Food Additive Safety, US FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
Tim Geistlinger, Chief Technology Officer, PERFECT DAY FOODS
Arturo Elizondo, CEO, CLARA FOODS
Jessica O’Connell, Partner, COVINGTON
Closing Remarks & Close of Summit